Australia’s capital city Canberra is often overlooked as travel destination. But the political heart of Australia has a lot more to interest travellers than watching bureaucrats argue over the direction of the country. The exceptionally well-planned city houses some of the country’s most treasured art and historical artefacts in the numerous national galleries and museums. Wineries lay at the city doorstep and the nature all around earned it the “bush capital” moniker.
Australia’s capital city is full of interesting landmarks and historic buildings that can be discovered on exciting day tours. Canberra is located approximately 3 hours from the sprawling metropolis of Sydney, where our exciting Canberra tours begin. A luxury air conditioned coach will transport you to the country’s capital, stopping at the charming town of Berrima on the way for morning tea. Before arriving in the city, you’ll also have the chance to take in stunning views of the region from the summit of Mt. Ainslie. All our day tours to Canberra depart in the morning from Sydney and return to Sydney in the evening.
Best Canberra Tours & Day Trips from Sydney
When you book a tour with Last Minute Day Tours, you’ll enjoy excellent commentary from our guides. Highlights of our Sydney to Canberra tours include:
- The Australian War Memorial – this moving memorial combines a museum and shrine to illustrate the experiences of Australians who serve the country in war and conflict.
- National Gallery of Australia – home to a collection of nearly 150,000 artworks from Australia and overseas, the National Gallery of Australia is a must visit for art-lovers. The extensive collection of artworks by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples is the largest in the world and offers an unparalleled look at the rich history and traditions of Australia’s First Nation Peoples.
- National Museum of Australia – explore the history and stories of Australia and its people through interactive displays at the National Museum of Australia.
- Australia’s Parliament House – enjoy a guided tour of the seat of Australian democracy and, if you’re lucky, you may even be able to witness the Houses of Parliament in session.
- Encounter the Prime Minister’s official residence, the Lodge
- Lake Burley Griffin – enjoy a wander around the man-made lake named after the architect who designed Parliament House.
- The Carillon Bell Tower – this remarkable 50-metre-tall structure that houses 55 bronze bells was a gift from the British Government to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Canberra.
- Mt. Ainslie – admire the sweeping views of Canberra and the surrounds at this picturesque lookout point over the city.
Canberra Day Tours
Our exciting day tours of Canberra are guaranteed to keep you entertained all day long and will have you back in Sydney by approximately 9pm. Book online today or call Last Minute Day Tours on 1300 24 24 88 for further information.